Confidence might be a scary word for many people. One definition used for the word confidence is “belief in your abilities.” Too many times you may put yourself down because of how you look or what you might think people are saying about you. But you do not have to live that way.
You are an unique individual, you have special gifts and talents that have given to you and you have opportunities to use them. Unfortunately the gifts and talents that you have been given might not always be noticeable right away, they may take months or years to develop. Most of the time you want to know what those gifts are now!
You see the school nerd who might not be popular but seems to be happy reading a book and getting straight A’s, or the three sport athletes who seem to have it all and you want to be like them. But most of the time you may find yourself unable to get straight A’s, or run without falling. Then where to you turn?
There are many people are in the same situation as you are. Where do you to turn when you feel like you have been rejected? What group will you fit into when you feel like you do not have anything in common with anyone? There are things that you can do to feel like you fit in with a group no matter who they are.
1. Believe in yourself. This might sound simple but it is probably the hardest thing to do. You are special and you are put on the earth for a reason. If you believe in yourself you will show the confidence that is deep inside of you wanting to come out. Then there will be more and more people that will want to be around you more. There will be more and more people looking to you for advice because you will have something that they will want to have
2. Body Language. Ninety percent of how someone judges you is based on your body language. For example, if you are sitting slouched in your seat with your arms crossed and a frown on your face someone might think that you do not want to talk with them, that you have an “attitude,” and you are likely to get a negative response. However if you sit up straight, have a smile on your face and look in someone in the eyes when they talk with you then you are more likely to get a happy, positive response
3. Take risks. It might be hard but throughout your life you will have to take risks. So you might as well start taking risks now while you are young. If you see that girl or guy you like, ask them out. If there is a sport that you want to try out for but were scared to do so – try out. Sure you will fail every now and again but the more you take risks now, the easier it will be for you as you get older. Then when you are going for that big job interview where you will be making lots of money, the interview will not be so scary.
4. Do what you love to do. Sometimes you might feel more pressure from your parents and teachers than from your peers. All parents (weather they admit it or not) have an idea of what they want their child to be. Parents want you to be happy, but they also want you to be the best at anything you put your mind too. If you like to play sports, play sports, if you like to draw and paint, then draw and paint, if you like too hang with your friends and play video games, then do that. But whatever you do, love it – you do not have to be the best to feel like the best.
5. Surround yourself with good people. One of the greatest things that you can do to become more self-confident is to surround yourself with good people. By good people I mean people who love you and care for you. These can be friends or family members. These are the people who will look out for you to make sure that you are believing in yourself, showing off good body language, taking risks and doing what you love to do.
All of this is going to take time to accomplish. Don’t try too much too fast. There is no magic pill for you to be confident in yourself. All you can do is have an image of the person that you want to be and try everyday in becoming that person. The only way that you will eventually become that person is to know yourself, be yourself and love yourself.